Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Chicken Romesco and hello again!

chicken romesco
Last night I was in the mood for peppers and because I had a jar of fire roasted yellow peppers that needed to be used, I decided to make chicken with romesco (almond, garlic and peppers) sauce w/ orzo and broccoli with cheese sauce (my mom's cheese sauce). The meal was wonderful and I have the pics to prove it!

I also added some prosciutto melted a little mozzarella and parm over the top just to make it extra decadent.


Romesco Sauce
2-3 Jarred roasted peppers (yellow or red) or roast your own for even better flavor!
1-2 cloves roasted garlic (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder for those of us who are a bit pressed for time)
1/4 c roasted nuts (almonds are the traditional addition to this sauce, but any will do)
1/2 tsp honey (or splenda if you're watching your carbs)
3 tbl olive oil (the best you can get since this is a raw sauce) drizzled in slowly

*blend all ingredients to combine in the blender. If desired you can add green onion or parsley to perk up the sauce.
**I also pan fried chicken breast pieces that I sliced thin then pounded out and topped with white pepper (Jason's on a white pepper kick!), garlic powder and kosher salt, then sauteed them in a pan with a little olive oil until they had some nice color (about 1 1/2 min per side), then put them in a shallow baking dish and topped them with the romesco sauce, a slice of prosciutto and the cheese then put them in the broiler to get the cheese melted and browned. I added butter and the remaining romesco sauce to the orzo then made my mom's wonderful cheese sauce (for Jason, I just topped my broccoli with vinegar and peperonchino) and we had cold glasses of pelegrino to finish it off. Desert, watermelon, YUM!!

No comments: