Saturday, October 4, 2008

Little Creek Diner in Norfolk

J and I went to the Little Creek Diner on Halprin Dr. in Norfolk for breakfast this morning. I'd heard about this place from a patron at another local establishment that we go to for breakfast quite often (Charlie's also in Norfolk.) At the diner, I ordered the MonteCristo sandwich w. a fried egg and home fries. J had 3 scrambled eggs w. a thick and juicy slice of ham, home fries and toast. Everything we ordered was delicious! The french toast on my sandwich was crispy, had a hint of vanilla and perhaps cinnamon? The melted swiss was delicious and the turkey complimented both beautifully. I added a fried egg just to make the sandwich extra rich and thought that it was a good compliment to a great classic sandwich. Though they don't use real maple syrup (don't think there are any restaurants in our area that do :-( ) the provided syrup on the table made this dish a sweet/savory delight. The home fries that accompanied were simply prepared; cooked then griddle fried until crisp and crunchy on one side. I would def recommend this place for breakfast. I haven't had lunch here but they have all the diner classics from melts to open faced turkey sandwiches. The Diner is owned by a Greek family (read somewhere that the family also owns the Ship's Cabin) and they have a lot of good specials and an enormous menu. Both the size of the menu and types of food are the closest I have come to a traditional northern style diner fare. The decor and ambiance are a bit shabby but the coffee is hot, the food and service are great and the cops, blue haired ladies and locals sitting at the counter make this place a favorite locals joint in my book. I foresee many more meals to come at this local treasure; we'll be back soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you know if this place is also open for dinner? Thanks for your evocative description of your Monte Cristo!

Julia said...

Not sure, but the will try and find out for you. sorry about the delay in the relpy! my computer died!