Monday, July 27, 2009

Mie and Yu, Lebanese Taverna and La Madeleine

Dc was wonderful! I had a blast seeing old friends, eating good food and going to a couple of shops and museums along the way. Since I love to eat and love to take pictures of the food I eat nearly as much, here is a breakdown of the culinary trip I took, the great, the good and the just ok.

The good: the eggs benedict at Mie n Yu were very good (the hollandaise sauce was one of the best I've had), the roasted potatoes were crisp, though the tasso ham was a bit overcooked for my taste. Big points for a perfectly poached egg!


The Ok: Mie n Yu chorizo stuffed dates wrapped in bacon, too sweet, too seasoned, too much going on...gotta say these were just ok (served with non-spicy harissa! too bad a little kick may have helped this dish)

Not sure: I didn't try the shwarma but since we don't have any restaurants that make it in my area, I thought I'd take a pic, Lamb on the left, chicken on the right...will have to try it on my next trip.
The great: Lebanese Taverna, FATTEH BLAHMEH, one of my favorite dishes ever! The menu description states the following: seasoned chunks of lamb layered over chick peas on roasted Lebanese bread, smothered with warm yogurt sauce, pine nuts and garlic. The lamb was perfectly tender, the yogurt sauce creamy and tangy, the pita crisp and the pine nuts, radishes and chickpeas added the perfect ballence, just wish pomagranates where in season as they usually top the dish with seeds. MMMMMMMMMMM.....

The good: Halum cheese with tomatoes, cucumbers and olives. Good but not the best, a little oily if I am perfectly honest (wish I'd gotten the hummus).

For dessert, our amazing waiter, Jorge brought us a complimentary dessert, baklava? with pomegranate syrup and vanilla ice cream. The service and food at the Lebanese Taverna can't be beat and I will definitely be back to their DC location on my next trip...I may also try to make the fatteh blameh on a later date!

The ok...La Madeleine. I had the chicken salad sandwich, sundried tomato pasta salad, caesar salad and a parfait (wasn't supposed to be this much food but someone messed up my order!). The caesar salad and parfait were very good but I didn't like the overly mayo'd chicken salad or the super creamy pasta salad. The croissant was very good but I don't think I'll be back to this place as there are waaaayyyyy better choices in DC for lunch.

Another picture of the sandwich and pasta salad both were a bit of a let down :-(
DC was fun, I loved the food, the shopping, the time I spent with friends and trying new things, be them great, good or just ok. Hope you liked my tour d' DC xo J

No comments: