Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"steak-ing" my claim :)

perfect steak

Ah, steak...is there a more perfect food, or a food that has been more ruined by the masses? cooking a perfect steak is not only a talent, but in my opinion, an art that takes years to master! I have tried to make the perfect pan-fried steak for years only to end up with overcooked, dry meat or meat that is too rare, even for me, with a burnt outer crust!



On this night, things were different. I did it...made the perfect rare (for me) and medium (for Jason) steaks.... the secret was to cook the steaks in a little canola in a screaming hot pan for 2 min on each side then to finish them in of all places, the toaster oven for 2 min (me) and 5 min (Jason). I also let the steaks rest for about 10 min before serving them. To accompany I made a horseradish cream, a basmati and onion pilaf and my favorite salad (recipe to follow).




This recipe doesn't have a name that I am aware of, so I am naming it myself....

JJ salad :)

1 tomato (best you can get)

1 avocado (must be ripe)

1 small to med sweet onion sliced thin

1/2 sliced cucumber (I like English or 1 whole seeded and peeled regular cuke)

juice of 1/2 lemon

1 tbl red wine vinegar

2 tbl evoo

1 tbl mayo (helmans is my fav)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

plenty of salt and fresh pepper

**put all veggies in a large salad bowl. In a small bowl mix all other ingredients to make a dressing. Pour over veggies and stir together (make sure to get the avocados coated so they don't turn brown). Refrigerate for up to 3 hrs (the salt will begin to leach the water out of the veggies so you don't want to let this salad hang out for too long). This salad is great with any grilled meats and I love it with seafood also.



Ps. The sandwich I made the next day with the leftovers was also amazing! Thanks Gmom J for the organic tomatoes from you garden...they were great!




steak sandwich

4 comments:

Cap said...

Wow very cool site, Julia. I came here from Chowhound where I answered your question about where Cowling's bbq is!
You could be a Food TV star!

Frank ("Cap" is what my grandsons call me)

Julia said...

Thanks cap...wish you were a scout for the FN :) Have a wonderful day!

jgkunkel said...

haha, that's funny. i like the "steaking" my claim. anyways, doing good! i got your message this morning, ive missed you too! i keep on forgeting to call back. i talked to grandma yesterday, and i was gonna call you after that, but she kinda took up all my time! lol ill call you up today or tomorrow when you're not busy.

jgkunkel said...

oh and btw, the food looks delicious. makes me very hungry!!