Tuesday, July 1, 2008

what is comfort food?

prosciutto spinach manicotti


what does that term really mean? Can food really comfort us? Can food deliver satisfaction, joy, pleasure and a sense of well being? The official definition of comfort is:
com·fort
1. To soothe in time of affliction or distress.
2. To ease physically; relieve.
n.
1. A condition or feeling of pleasurable ease, well-being, and contentment.
2. Solace in time of grief or fear.




These definitions go straight to the heart of the dish I made for dinner tonight, a spinach-ricotta and prosciutto manicotti. I love the gooey, cheesey, melty textures and the simple sense of joy a well prepared dish like this can bring. My mother makes amazing manicotti and this dish, to me is one of the most comforting things I can eat (second only to the asado completos I used to have with my father late at night that usually consisted of organ meats and deliciously garlicy chimichurri!). If you want the recipe, just ask....for now, I will leave you salivating over the photos...I hope they bring you a sense of contentment as well


PS. served this with a wonderfully tangy salad (oil, vinegar and salt, romaine, fresh feta, red onion, tomatoes and cucumbers), hot sourdough bread and a glass of Tempranillio......

No comments: